Helping Young Women in S.T.E.M.
Jimmie Nell PerkinsMemorial Scholarship
The Jimmie Nell Perkins (JNP) Memorial Scholarship Fund was established to honor Jimmie Nell’s
incredible legacy of commitment, dedication, and passion for making a difference in education for
economically challenged communities. Jimmie Nell Perkins lived in Greenwood (MS) and was a science
and mathematics teacher in the Leflore County (MS) School District. During her twenty-seven years as
an educator at T. Y. Fleming School (Minter City, MS) and Sunnyside Elementary School (Sunnyside,
MS), Jimmie Nell broadened the minds of three generations of youth and adults in the MS Delta. She
was a native of Hazlehurst (MS) and a graduate of Parish High School, Mississippi Valley State
University, and the University of Mississippi. She strongly believed that an education, involvement in
arts, music, and community service were essential to the complete person. The JNP Scholarship will keep her legacy alive.
Help us help a future S.T.E.M. professional.
A select number of scholarships will be awarded to qualifying students who meet the following criteria:
- Be a woman of African-American ethnicity.
- A resident of Mississippi.
- Currently enrolled as a Sophomore or higher at a four-year public college or university.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher - 4.0 scale.
- Declared major in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (S.T.E.M.) discipline.
- Proven demonstration of strong community involvement beyond academic requirements.
Interested applicants must submit the following:
- Sealed copy of official transcript from college/university.
- Letter of recommendation from current Instructor in your field of study (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) or your Academic Advisor.
- Letter of verification from agency/organization where you volunteer. The letter should include your role(s), length of time with the agency/organization, and impact.
- Double-spaced 400-500 word essay describing your active involvement and commitment to community service, and/or the arts and how the scholarship will impact your educational journey.
Place all required items into the same envelope and mail all required submissions to:
JNP Memorial Scholarship
C/O FABRIC, Inc.
Post Office Box 1193
Cleveland, MS 38732
Click HERE to submit scholarship questions
2020 Scholarship Info
Zoe Hinds - Fisk University
Ayana Taylor - Mississippi Valley State University